Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 17


I have signed up for a 20 hour Russian course.  It is pretty difficult because the characters are very different from English; there are a few similar characters but they have different sounds so it doesn't even help.  I don't expect to retain much but it is interesting to learn about his other culture especially since there are so many Russians around here.  Here is an example (and the only word I can remember...): "спасибо" is pronouned "spa-see-ba" and means thank you.

Aside from that I haven’t really been doing much here lately except school.  I have 2 big essays due when I get back from my UK trip, which I am trying to finish before I leave so I don’t have to worry about them.   

I booked tickets to fly into Dublin on March 29!  I haven’t bought tickets to come back yet because I am still figure out the dates.  Budget airlines here are unbelievably inexpensive… it cost only $19 to fly from Oslo to Dublin! I plan to travel around Ireland for about 6 days, then take a ferry across and spend a day or two in Scotland and see a friend I used to work with many years ago who is living there now.  Then Ill head south toward Newcastle in England where I will see a past roommate and good friend I met at UNBC.  Then Ill head south some more toward London where I am staying with a friend I met in New Zealand who I have stayed in touch with.  When I am there, three friends from high school will be in in London at the same time as they are starting a big backpacking adventure so we will surely meet up!  I know two other girls who are living in London as well, one in fashion school and one in ballet school, so Ill be sure to meet up with them and get shown around the big city.  Also, as it turns out, I have distant relatives from my dad’s family that I have contacted and will meet as well.  I am so looking forward to travelling again!

My roommate’s boyfriend has been visiting from Denmark and leaves on Monday, which is the day that my good friend Amber will come to visit me from Denmark.  She and I worked together at summer camp many years ago and I am so looking forward to showing someone around this lovely place!  Hopefully the weather is good; it has been raining a lot lately despite being above the Arctic Circle...

Every 2 weeks the International Students Union puts on an international movie night.  The past movies have been from Russia and Germany and have been great insightful movies into their culture and history while keeping a great story line.  Now I have to think of a similar Canadian movie, any ideas?!? Brenden and I cant think of anything truly Canadian that would appeal to students from different nationalities…

2 comments:

  1. Impressive with the Russian. That sounds like a real challenge! And your Great Britain trip plans sound very promising. You'll be able to see to many people and take in so much of the land.

    You could show a documentary about Canadian nature. Those are always impressive. :)

    See you Monday! I'm so excited!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trudeau_(film)

    This is a link to the wikipedia description of the 2002 miniseries called "Trudeau". I think this would be a great Canadian film as it is based on a Canadian icon and could spark some great discussion on his political vs personal persona..... and his love of nature. (his multiple legacies if you will). Or you could see if you can find a copy of the film version of "Owls in the Family" by Farley Mowatt.

    Can't wait to see your pics from the UK!

    ReplyDelete